Wikispecies:Bots/Requests for approval/DanKoehlBot
- Operator: Dan Koehl
- Automatic or Manually Assisted: both
- Programming Language(s): AutoWikiBrowser
- Function Summary: Spell-checking, correction of typos with AWB.
- Edit period(s) (e.g. Continuous, daily, one time run): When needed, only runs when I activate it)
- Edit rate requested: 4 to 6 edits per minute
- Already has a bot flag (Y/N): NO
- Function Details: Locates typos and corrects them.
Do we have a need for spell-checking on a large scale in the first place? A typical page barely contain much text, but it's likely to contain an inordinate amount of non-english ranging from title of periodicals and articles to nouns, to Latin text (obviously!) and description of type locations, and all sorts of rare abbreviations. The average page is even more fraught with risks of false positives than Wikipedia for a relatively small amount of likely typos. If we're gonna do a bot for something, it should be dealing with the 8k+ inappropriate categories Stephen has left us saddled with. Circeus (talk) 04:48, 26 January 2017 (UTC)
- This is a relevant question. Id say one reason for the bot, is that users dont have to see a large number of edits in recent changes.
- As for you remark on inappropriate categories, my other bot User:KoehlBot is designed for that. Dan Koehl (talk) 05:42, 26 January 2017 (UTC)
- Please don't take my remark about the categories as an indictment, btw. It reflects more my lack of awareness of what's going on on the bot side than any failings. I was, however, actually referring not so much to removal of the categories from pages (It DOES explain why these categories are all empty, which I had wondered about. Yes, I'm an idiot XD) as the deletion of the category pages themselves. I can estimate I've deleted more than a thousand already (without AWB to boot), and that's about one-eighth of what still needs to go. Circeus (talk) 22:05, 26 January 2017 (UTC)
- Also, I'm curious as to the rates of correction. Assuming this (like most of them) also makes small inconsequential "tidy-up" edits which I personally (yes, I admit to being biased) consider at best a nuisance, a rate of (say) one correction in a thousand pages is simply not enough to justify the need. Circeus (talk) 22:09, 26 January 2017 (UTC)
Request Expired.18:50, 09 February 2017 (UTC) (bot has no flag)