Hi Benedict, your statistics page is out of order. Might be correctable by modifying the MediaWiki: pages. ku:User:Erdal_Ronahi
Thanks for pointing that out, I had a look; did you mean the date and time bar? I didn't find anything where to change that, nor any cue at the WikiSpecies profile. Maybe you can add what you miss. The timebar seems to work fine from my point of view. Best, Benedikt
- 1 BlockIP
- 2 Taxonavigation of Insects
- 3 License ?
- 4 Your Logo
- 5 Time to admin me?
- 6 Errors?
- 7 Time to admin me?
- 8 Conflict with wikipedia
- 9 Homininae
- 10 Templates
- 11 Admin
- 12 Copyright of Wikispecies logo.png
- 13 2 Questions
- 14 rename account
- 15 Welcome back!
- 16 שלום Benedikt
- 17 Forced user renames coming soon for SUL
- 18 Vernacular names
- 19 An important message about renaming users
- 20 Vote request
- 21 Invitation to join the Ten Year Society
- 22 Wikiversity Journal of Medicine
- 23 De-adminship warning
- Wikispecies:Block log; 18:18 . . Benedikt (Talk) (blocked "22.214.171.124" with an expiry time of 10000 hours: vandalizing main page)
Hello Benedikt, are you sure that it´s really useful or even necessary to block a changing IP for such a long time? In all other Wikimedia projects 1-2 (-24) hours are normally used for blocking. --Bdk 18:39, 5 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- I am not familiar with the blocking policies of other projects (as I'm no wiki-veteran as most other users), and thought that somebody writing 'Welcome, Asshole!' to the main page demonstrates a lack of will to contribute useful data - so I thought it is appropriate to ban this IP. If that's different in other Wikimedia projects, I can decrease the blocking time to the one you suggested. Thanks for pointing that out, best, Benedikt
- It is because most IPs are dynamic, so at another time this IP would be used by another person and the same troll may also come back with a different IP within minutes. So please deblock that IP. Thanx --Bdk 03:34, 7 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Take a look at the Lepidoptera Taxonavigation to Pierini please, there are at least 2 more levels possible, and if you want to get into cohorts subcohorts etc. as many as 8. I'm not advocating abbreviating the navigation, far from it, however with insecta the boxes can get very long. Williamb 14:20, 6 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- True, taxonomy can become quite extensive and rather esotheric than scientific - I suggest personally to understand the taxonavigation as the use of the most common clades that should serve the user to have an orientation within the tree. We should cover as many taxons as possible, but I recommend everybody not to bee too anal about levels of taxa; to everybody worried about the taxonavigation: work with information as accurate as possible, but don't expect the taxonavigation ever to become a 'right' or even 'current' tree. It should provide a red line through the regna. Thanks! Benedikt
Hi, what is the license of the wikispecies logo ? Can you answer me on http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discussion_Utilisateur:Tipiac ? Thanks in advance. 126.96.36.199 08:18, 17 Dec 2004 (UTC)
Hi Benedikt. Do you have a colour version of your WikiSpecies logo? How about using the Wikimedia colours to give a green insect on a red flower (or something similar)? If you don't have the time or inclination, then I'd happily update it for you if you send me the source - I think it'd brighten the place up a bit and make it clearer what it's an image of. I don't check here very often at all, so please leave any response at my Wikipedia talk page. Happy Christmas (if that's appropriate!) --HappyDog 23:10, 19 Dec 2004 (UTC)
Time to admin me?
Looks like the polling period has ended.... - UtherSRG 18:19, 28 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- I have not yet been blessed with an admin bit. Perhaps a gentle reminder to the good folks who can do so? - UtherSRG 22:17, 7 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Hi Benedict, I am Dan.
Am I confused, or is Ordo: Xenarthra submitted on 2 places:
As far as I can see, it belong under Placentalia?
Dan Koehl 12:18, 9 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Time to admin me?
Looks like the polling period has ended.... - Dan Koehl July 2, 2005 17:14 (UTC)
- I have not yet been blessed with an admin bit. Perhaps a gentle reminder to the good folks who can do so? - Dan Koehl July 2, 2005 17:14 (UTC)
Conflict with wikipedia
I believe Phacochoerus is an example of what is seen as wikipedia conflict, what do you think?
- Hm, tricky bit...welcome to the battleground of phylogeny, I would say. Obviously, the vernacular name of "Menschen" wouldn't include Gorillas and Schimpansen; IMHO there is not one single vernacular name that reflects Homininae, so I split it into two (Menschenaffen would include orangutans, which is not conform with modern cladistics...).
Hi, can you please react to Wikispecies:Village_Pump#Attempt_for_revision_of_the_templates? Thank you, Ucucha 14:36, 29 August 2005 (UTC) (I send this message to all admins)
Copyright of Wikispecies logo.png
The Wikispecies logo here looks way cool. Why is the Wikipedia template pointing to Wikimedia using something different (the fly/flower logo)?
I am struggling through an online biology class at my college and I'm misunderstanding something about homonid taxonomy. My textbook tells me that "All humanlike and human species, past and present, are known as the homonids." First, does Hominidae = Homonid? Second, does Hominidae include anything but humans and our extinct ancestors? The second part is where the Wikipedia, Wikispecies, and my textbook disagree. My textbook claims that only humans and our ancestors belong to Hominidae.
I greatly appreciate any light you can help shed on the subject.
Feel free to respond on my Wikipedia Talk
188.8.131.52 23:32, 17 December 2005 (UTC)
I would like to rename my account to a new name; "Niduzzi", as my current name ("Izzudin") is already in use in id: and ar: by others. So I can't unify my account. Thanks! Izzudin 12:55, 2 December 2008 (UTC)
- Very rarely, though :) But thanks for the kind welcome! Benedikt
אני מנסה לאחד את השם משתמש שלי "אבגד" בכל מיזמי קרן ויקימדיה. אבקש לשנות את אבגד למשהו אחר כדי שאוכל לאחדם. אודה לך במאוד. כדאי שתראה את הבקשות במטא כאן ובויקיפדיה כאן. בתודה, משתמש אבגד מתוך משתמש חדש לצורך העניין. --אבגד1 (talk) 14:59, 2 March 2011 (UTC)
Hi, sorry for writing in English. I'm writing to ask you, as a bureaucrat of this wiki, to translate and review the notification that will be sent to all users, also on this wiki, who will be forced to change their user name on May 27 and will probably need your help with renames. You may also want to help with the pages m:Rename practices and m:Global rename policy. Thank you, Nemo 17:10, 3 May 2013 (UTC)
An important message about renaming users
I am cross-posting this message to many places to make sure everyone who is a Wikimedia Foundation project bureaucrat receives a copy. If you are a bureaucrat on more than one wiki, you will receive this message on each wiki where you are a bureaucrat.
As you may have seen, work to perform the Wikimedia cluster-wide single-user login finalisation (SUL finalisation) is taking place. This may potentially effect your work as a local bureaucrat, so please read this message carefully.
Why is this happening? As currently stated at the global rename policy, a global account is a name linked to a single user across all Wikimedia wikis, with local accounts unified into a global collection. Previously, the only way to rename a unified user was to individually rename every local account. This was an extremely difficult and time-consuming task, both for stewards and for the users who had to initiate discussions with local bureaucrats (who perform local renames to date) on every wiki with available bureaucrats. The process took a very long time, since it's difficult to coordinate crosswiki renames among the projects and bureaucrats involved in individual projects.
The SUL finalisation will be taking place in stages, and one of the first stages will be to turn off Special:RenameUser locally. This needs to be done as soon as possible, on advice and input from Stewards and engineers for the project, so that no more accounts that are unified globally are broken by a local rename to usurp the global account name. Once this is done, the process of global name unification can begin. The date that has been chosen to turn off local renaming and shift over to entirely global renaming is 15 September 2014, or three weeks time from now. In place of local renames is a new tool, hosted on Meta, that allows for global renames on all wikis where the name is not registered will be deployed.
Your help is greatly needed during this process and going forward in the future if, as a bureaucrat, renaming users is something that you do or have an interest in participating in. The Wikimedia Stewards have set up, and are in charge of, a new community usergroup on Meta in order to share knowledge and work together on renaming accounts globally, called Global renamers. Stewards are in the process of creating documentation to help global renamers to get used to and learn more about global accounts and tools and Meta in general as well as the application format. As transparency is a valuable thing in our movement, the Stewards would like to have at least a brief public application period. If you are an experienced renamer as a local bureaucrat, the process of becoming a part of this group could take as little as 24 hours to complete. You, as a bureaucrat, should be able to apply for the global renamer right on Meta by the requests for global permissions page on 1 September, a week from now.
In the meantime please update your local page where users request renames to reflect this move to global renaming, and if there is a rename request and the user has edited more than one wiki with the name, please send them to the request page for a global rename.
Stewards greatly appreciate the trust local communities have in you and want to make this transition as easy as possible so that the two groups can start working together to ensure everyone has a unique login identity across Wikimedia projects. Completing this project will allow for long-desired universal tools like a global watchlist, global notifications and many, many more features to make work easier.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about the SUL finalisation, read over the Help:Unified login page on Meta and leave a note on the talk page there, or on the talk page for global renamers. You can also contact me on my talk page on meta if you would like. I'm working as a bridge between Wikimedia Foundation Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Stewards, and you to assure that SUL finalisation goes as smoothly as possible; this is a community-driven process and I encourage you to work with the Stewards for our communities.
Hello, I’m Marius, an admin here at WS. I would like to ask you to contribute to an important ongoing vote which will practically decide the future of WS. As you probably know, the user Stho002, an admin, is forcefully endorsing his concept of the content and format of WS. His “system” includes a complex mesh of templates and links which is nowhere specified or written down, is not considered as a consensus, and is not easy or trivial to use, especially by newcomers. As my experience goes, when I save an edited page, Stho002 will delete or change it sooner or later, sometimes in a matter of seconds. This is no way of maintaining a healthy community. It is a lamentable fact that the aggressiveness by which Stho enforces his way deters many users and causes many newcomers leave this site.
The original WS help pages (, , ) contain a much simpler system, where the resulting taxa information is no less clear nor less detailed then Stho’s format, and which is being used successfully for years by experienced users as well as by novices.
If we decide that our current page format is outdated in need of improvement, we surely must make the change through collaboration and discussion. It is unacceptable that a single user will dictate his concept, however better-suited for our purposes he thinks it is.
We therefore have three options: (a) to make Stho002 system the official WS format; (b) to endorse the system specified in the help pages; (c) to devise a new system by mutual cooperation. After we reach an agreement, we’ll modify the help pages accordingly, resulting in a consistent way of doing things, without having to fight among ourselves, without having to resort to deleting and modifying each other’s work.
Therefore please read the discussion here and take a moment of your time and make your choice here. I think it is your obligation as an admin to participate in the vote. Thanks, Mariusm (talk) 08:54, 13 September 2014 (UTC)
Invitation to join the Ten Year Society
I'd like to extend a cordial invitation to you to join the Ten Year Society, an informal group for editors who've been participating in the Wikispecies project for ten years or more.
Wikiversity Journal of Medicine
I am writing on behalf of Wikiversity Journal of Medicine, an open access, peer reviewed medical journal, with no publication charges. You can find more about it by reading the article on The Signpost featuring this journal. Recently there has been a proposal to define a separate sister project for journals under Wikimedia and to move the pages under
journal.wikimedia.org similar to the case of WikiSpecies. You have been one of the early contributors to Wikispecies. Could you please guide me about how to get the relevant subdomain of wikimedia.org.
Dear Benedikt. I am writing to inform you that you are in danger of losing your adminship on Wikispecies because of inactivity.
If you want to keep your adminship, you need both to sign at Wikispecies:Administrators/Inactivity Section within 30 days of today's date, and also to make at least five further admin actions in the following six months. Anyone who does not do so will automatically lose administrator rights.
You can read the de-admin policy at Wikispecies:Administrators/Admin Review.
- As per the Admin Review Policy a request to the Stewards has been made (here) to remove your admin and bureaucrat user rights. Many thanks for the time you put into Wikispecies and we hope you may have time to coninue in the future. Scott Thomson (Faendalimas) talk 18:12, 1 June 2017 (UTC)