|Classification System: APG IV|
- Marah Kellogg, 1854.
- Marah oregana Torr. & A.Gray) Howell Fl. N.W. Amer. 2: 239. (1898) Designared as synonym M. muricata Kellogg Proc. Calif. Acad. Sci. 1: 38–39. (1854)
Note: Kellogg (1854) assigned masculine gender to Marah and mentioned that the significance of the genus name may be found in "Exodus xv: 22–26". However (Proc. Calif. Acad. Sci. 2: 18. (1863)), he treated Marah as feminine. [In Hebrew, Mar (masculine) and marah (feminine) = bitter (vide Avinoam Danin (HUJ)] (IPNI, 2014). Therefore the above spelling needs correcting.
- Megarrhiza Torr. & A. Gray Rep. Explor. Railroad Pacific 12: 61. (1860). However, some authorities consider Megarrhiza macrocarpa (Greene) Tidestr. Proc. Biol. Soc. Wash. 48(9): 43. (1935) to be an accepted species, which would render this synonymy illegitimate, (The Plant List, 2014 & Tropicos, 2014).
- Kellogg, A. (1854) Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences 1: 38.
- Kellogg, A. (1864) Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences 2: 18.
- The Plant List 2013. Marah in The Plant List Version 1.1. Published on the internet. Accessed: 2014 Sept. 14.
- Tropicos.org 2014. Marah . Missouri Botanical Garden. Published on the internet. Accessed: 2014 Sept. 14.
- International Plant Names Index. 2014. Marah. Published online. Accessed Sept. 14 2014.
|For more multimedia, look at Marah on Wikimedia Commons.|