(Redirected from Torr.)
John Torrey (1796–1873), U.S. botanist.
Standard IPNI form: Torr.
(List of works may be incomplete)
- A Catalogue of Plants growing spontaneously within thirty miles of the City of New-York. Albany 1819.
- A Compendium of the Flora of the Northern and Middle States, containing generic and specific Descriptions of all the Plants, exclusive of the Cryptogamia, hitherto found in the United States, north of the Potomac. S. B. Collins, New York 1826.
- Outlines of the lectures on chemistry, delivered in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of the University of the State of New York. 2ª ed. John Post, 1829.
- Catalogue of North American Genera of Plants, arranged according to the orders of Lindley’s Introduction to the Natural System of Botany. En: John Lindley An introduction to the Natural System of Botany: Or, A systematic View of the Organization, natural affinities, and geographical distribution of the whole vegetable kingdom; together with the uses of the most important species in medicine, the arts. G. & C. & H. Carvill, New York 1831.
- A Flora of North America containing abridged Descriptions of all the known indigenous and naturalized Plants growing North of Mexico; arranged according to the Natural System. De John Torrey, M. D., F. L. S., etc. Member of the Imperial Academy Naturae Curiosorum, etc. & Professor of Chemistry and Botany in the University of the State of New-York; & Asa Gray, M. D., Member of the Imperial Academy Naturae Curiosorum, etc. Professor of Botany in the University of Michigan. V. I. New-York: Wiley & Putnam. 1838—1840.
- A Flora of North America, 1838—1843
- A flora of the state of New-York: comprising full descriptions of all the indigenous and naturalized plants hitherto discovered in the state with remarks on their economical and medicinal properties. 2 v. Carroll & Cook, printers to the Assembly, Albany 1843.
- Catalogue of plants collected by Mr. Charles Geyer under the direction of Mr. I. N. Nicollet during the exploration of the region between the Mississippi alnd Missouri Rivers. En: Report intended to illustrate a map of the hydrographical basin of the upper Mississippi river, made by I. N. Nicollet. Blair and Rives, Printers, Washington 1843, p. 143–165.
- Catalogue of Plants collected by Lieutenant Frémont in his expedition to the Rocky Mountains. In: Report of the exploring expedition to the Rocky Mountains in the year 1842, and to Oregon and North California in the years 1843–’44, by Brevet Captain J. C. Frémont. Gales & Seaton, Printers, Washington 1845, S. 81–98.
- Note concerning the plants collected in the second expedition of Captain Fremont. En: Report of the exploring expedition to the Rocky Mountains in the year 1842, and to Oregon and North California in the years 1843-'44, by Brevet Captain J. C. Frémont. Gales & Seaton, Printers, Washington 1845, p. 311–319.
- Plantae Fremontianae; or Descriptions of Plants Collected by Colonel J. C. Frémont in California, Smithsonian Institution, Washington (D.C.) 1853
- Phanerogamia of Pacific North America. En: United States Exploring Expedition. During the years 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, 1842. Under the command of Charles Wilkes, U.S.N.. V. 17, Botany III, Filadelfia 1874, p. 207–514.
Authored taxon names
- 17 taxon names authored by John Torrey (May be incomplete)