- Type locality: from soil, Pongola, Natal (South Africa).
- Holotype: PPRI accession number AcY 78/225, ♀.
- Lorryia pongolana, original combination (see the notes), combination also used by Kaźmierski (1998: 325)
- Brachytydeus ponglana, subsequent combination used by Silva et al. (2016: 23)
- Brachytydeus pongolanus, subsequent combination used in this database (see the notes) based on the subsequent combination used by Silva et al. (2016: 23) and corrected under art. 34.2 of ICZN
- In the original description, the name was spelled in two different ways: ponglana (title of the description, page 44) and pongolana (legend of figs 8-17, page 46). As the name of the species is derived from the locality type, the town of Pangola, the second name is used in this database.
- Kaźmierski, A. 1998. Tydeinae of the world: generic relationships, new and redescribed taxa and keys to all species. A revision of the subfamilies Pretydeinae and Tydeinae (Acari: Actinedida: Tydeidae) – part IV. Acta Zoologica Cracoviensia 41(2): 283–455. Reference page.
- Silva, G.L. da, Metzelthin, M.H., Silva, O.S. da & Ferla, N.J. 2016. Catalogue of the mite family Tydeidae (Acari: Prostigmata) with the world key to the species. Zootaxa 4135(1): 1–68. DOI: 10.11646/zootaxa.4135.1.1. Reference page.
- Ueckermann, E.A. & Smith Meyer, M.K.P. 1979. African Tydeidae. I. The genus Lorryia Oudemans, 1925. Phytophylactica 11: 43–50.