- Type locality: from stored wheat at Glenlea, Manitoba (Canada)
- Holotype: CNC
- Tydeus hughesae, original combination
- Lorryia hughesae, subsequent combination proposed by Kaźmierski (1998: 326)
- Brachytydeus hughesae, subsequent combination used by Silva et al. (2016: 16)
- "In the original description by MOMEN & SINHA (1991) the name was spelled in two different ways: hughesea and hughesae, respectively. However, since the suffix -ea makes no sense in Latin, the correct spelling must be hughesae." (Momen & Lundqvist, 1995: 53).
- Additional drawings in figures 59-63 by Momen & Lundqvist (1995: 55).
- Momen, F.M. & Sinha, R.N.1991. Tydeid mites associated with stored grain and oil seeds in Canada, with descriptions of a new genus and five new species (Acari: Tydeidae). Canadian Journal of Zoology 69 : 1226-1253.
- Momen, F. & Lundqvist, L. 1995. The genus Tydeus (Acari: Prostigmata) in Southern Sweden, six new species. Acarologia 36: 41–53. Abstract and full article Reference page.
- Kaźmierski, A. 1998. Tydeinae of the world: generic relationships, new and redescribed taxa and keys to all species. A revision of the subfamilies Pretydeinae and Tydeinae (Acari: Actinedida: Tydeidae) – part IV. Acta Zoologica Cracoviensia 41(2): 283–455. Reference page.
- Silva, G.L. da, Metzelthin, M.H., Silva, O.S. da & Ferla, N.J. 2016. Catalogue of the mite family Tydeidae (Acari: Prostigmata) with the world key to the species. Zootaxa 4135(1): 1–68. DOI: 10.11646/zootaxa.4135.1.1. Reference page.