- Holotype: ZMB 33884
- Paratypes: ZMB 33885 (5)
Type locality: Kota Bharu, about 35 km south of Panjang, which presumably refers to the border settlement of Rantau Panjang, Kelantan state, northeastern Peninsular Malaysia, 5°48'40"N 101°57'20"E.
Etymology: Species is named in appreciation after German aquarist and fish explorer Jens Kühne, who first purchased the catch and sent them out for identification.
- Kottelat, M. 2013. The fishes of the inland waters of southeast Asia: a catalogue and core bibiography of the fishes known to occur in freshwaters, mangroves and estuaries. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology Supplement No. 27: 1–663. PDF. Reference page.
- Betta kuehnei in FishBase,
Froese, R. & Pauly, D. (eds.) 2022. FishBase. World Wide Web electronic publication, www.fishbase.org, version 08/2021, accessed on December 11, 2020.
- Betta kuehnei in Catalog of Fishes, Eschmeyer, W.N., Fricke, R. & van der Laan, R. (eds.) 2022. Catalog of Fishes electronic version, accessed on December 11, 2020.
- Betta kuehnei – Taxon details on National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).
- IUCN: Betta kuehnei (Data Deficient)
- Betta kuehnei in the World Register of Marine Species, accessed on December 11, 2020