- Holotype: MTD F30341
- Paratypes: MTD F30342-30345 (4), MTD F30346-30348 (3)
Type locality: Thailand, Province Narathiwat, about 20 km west of Narathiwat at street to Marubo (app. 6°23'N, 101°38'E).
Etymology: apollon: Named for Apollo, the mythological Greek god of (among others) music, poetry, medicine and archery and which also refers to handsome young man; an allusion to the beautiful appearance of this species.
- Schindler, I. and J. Schmidt, 2006. Review of the mouthbrooding Betta (Teleostei, Osphronemidae) from Thailand, with descriptions of two new species. Zeitschrift für Fischkunde v. 8 (no. 1/2): 47-69.
- Kottelat, M. 2013. The fishes of the inland waters of southeast Asia: a catalogue and core bibiography of the fishes known to occur in freshwaters, mangroves and estuaries. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology Supplement No. 27: 1–663. PDF. Reference page.
- Betta apollon in FishBase,
Froese, R. & Pauly, D. (eds.) 2022. FishBase. World Wide Web electronic publication, www.fishbase.org, version 08/2021, accessed on November 29, 2020.
- Betta apollon in Catalog of Fishes, Eschmeyer, W.N., Fricke, R. & van der Laan, R. (eds.) 2022. Catalog of Fishes electronic version, accessed on November 29, 2020.
- Betta apollon – Taxon details on National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).
- IUCN: Betta apollon (Data Deficient)
- Betta apollon in the World Register of Marine Species, accessed on November 29, 2020, 2020