Arizona elegans elegans
Lectotype: USNM 1722, ♂. [designated by Blanchard (1924: 4)]
Type locality: “Rio Grande; Between Arkansas and Cimarron”, restricted by lectype designation to “Lower Rio Grande”, by Blanchard (1924: 4).
Placed on the Official List of Specific Names in Zoology by Opinion 717 (1965).
- Arizona elegans elegans — Blanchard, 1924: 3 [subsequent combination, as subspecies]
Holotype: CAS 10393, adult ♂.
Type locality: “Cheyenne County, Kansas, 13 miles southeast of Benkelman, Dundy County, Nebraska.”
- Baird, S.F. 1859. Reptiles of the boundary, with notes by the naturalists of the survey. in United States and Mexican Boundary Survey, under the orders of Lieut. Col. W.H. Emory, Major First Cavalry, and United States Commissioner. Volume 2, Part 1. Government Printing Office, Washington. 36 pp. + 41 pls. BHL
- Blanchard, F.N. 1924. A new snake of the genus Arizona. Occasional Papers of the Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan 150: 1–3. handle.
- Klauber, L.M. 1946. The glossy snake, Arizona, with descriptions of new subspecies. Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History 10(17): 311–398. BHL
- International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. 1965. Opinion 717. Arizona elegans Kennicott, 1859 (Reptilia): validated under the plenary powers. Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature 22(1): 19–21. BHL Reference page.
- Fleet, R.R. & Dixon, J.R. 1971. Geographic variation within the long-tailed group of the Glossy Snake, Arizona elegans Kennicott. Herpetologica 27(3): 295–302. JSTOR