Pao abei (Roberts, 1998)
Type locality: Xe Bang Fai watershed, Xe Bang Fai at Ban Geng Sahwang, Mekong basin, Laos.
Etymology: Named in honor of Japanese ichthyologist Tokiharu Abe, who contributed very much to the study of this group of species.
- Tetraodon abei Roberts, 1998 (original combination)
- Monotrete abei (Roberts, 1998) -- Kottelat, 2001
- Kottelat, M.; 2001: Fishes of Laos. WHT Publications, Colombo. 1-198, Pls. 1-48.
- Kottelat, M. 2013. The fishes of the inland waters of southeast Asia: a catalogue and core bibiography of the fishes known to occur in freshwaters, mangroves and estuaries. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology Supplement No. 27: 1–663. Full issue (PDF). Reference page.
- Roberts, T. R.; 1998: Freshwater fugu or pufferfishes of the genus Tetraodon from the Mekong basin, with descriptions of two new species. Ichthyological Research, 45 (3): 225-234.