- Muraenesox McClelland, 1844: 408
- Etymology: portmanteau of genera Muraena Linnaeus, 1758, moray, and Esox Linnaeus, 1758, pike.
- McClelland, J. 1843. Description of a collection of fishes made at Chusan and Ningpo in China, by Dr. G. R. Playfair, Surgeon of the Phlegethon, war steamer, during the late military operations in that country. Calcutta Journal of Natural History, 4(4): 390–413, Pls. 21–25. BHL
- Jordan, D.S. 1919. The genera of fishes, part II, from Agassiz to Bleeker, 1833-1858, twenty-six years, with the accepted type of each. A contribution to the stability of scientific nomenclature. Leland Stanford Junior University Publications, University Series, 36: i–ix + 163–284 + i–xiii. BHL
- Muraenesox McClelland, 1844 – Taxon details on Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS).
- Muraenesox and its species (including synonyms) in Catalog of Fishes, Eschmeyer, W.N., Fricke, R. & van der Laan, R. (eds.) 2021. Catalog of Fishes electronic version.
- Muraenesox species list in FishBase,
Froese, R. & Pauly, D. (eds.) 2021. FishBase. World Wide Web electronic publication, www.fishbase.org, version 02/2021.