Anaxyrus nelsoni (Stejneger, 1893)
Type locality: "Oasis Valley, [Nye County,] Nevada", USA.
Holotype: USNM 18742.
The recognition of Anaxyrus as a genus distinct from Bufo is highly controversial, and has not been accepted by many herpetologists working with this group. For a complete phylogeny of the species in this group and their relationships as a subgroup within Bufo, see Pauly et al. (2004).
- Bufo boreas nelsoni Stejneger, 1893
- Bufo nelsoni — Savage, 1959
- Bufo halophilus nelsoni — Frank & Ramus, 1995
- Stejneger, 1893, N. Am. Fauna, 7: 220.
- Pauly, G. B., D. M. Hillis, and D. C, Cannatella. (2004) The history of a Nearctic colonization: Molecular phylogenetics and biogeography of the Nearctic toads (Bufo). Evolution 58: 2517–2535.
- Frost, Darrel R. 2018. Amphibian Species of the World: an Online Reference. Version 6.0. Electronic Database accessible at http://research.amnh.org/herpetology/amphibia/index.html. American Museum of Natural History, New York, USA. Anaxyrus nelsoni . Accessed on 26 Mar 2008.
- World Conservation Monitoring Centre IUCN: Anaxyrus nelsoni (Endangered)