Richard L. Brown
Richard L. Brown (R. L. Brown)
Entomologist (Lepidoptera), USA 
He began collecting insects during the 1960s in northwestern Arkansas. As a student at University of Arkansas (M.S., 1973), he became interested in the Lepidoptera, especially the "micros" of the southern Ozarks. After serving as a medical entomologist in the military for two years, he concentrated on the systematics of Epinotia and other tortricids at Cornell University. Upon completing his doctorate in 1980, he was employed as Director of the Mississippi Entomological Museum and Assistant Professor to teach taxonomy courses at Mississippi State University. Following collecting trips to Chile, Venezuela, New Caledonia and Fiji Islands, he began concentrating on the relatively unknown moth fauna in southeastern U.S., especially in unique and threatened habitats in Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi. In addition to faunistic work, he is continuing long term work on systematics of tortricid moths and am interested in evolution of wing patterns and the role of abiotic selection factors on feeding strategies and other adaptations. He is currently project director of the Mississippi Arthropod Survey, technical editor of the Mississippi Entomological Museum Publication Series, and organizer of the annual William H. Cross Expedition.
- Brown, R.L. 1984. Review of Corticivora (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) with analysis of its tribal relationships and descriptions of new species Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 86: 278-286. full article BHL. reference page
- Adamski, D. & Brown, R.L. 1987. A new nearctic Glyphidocera with descriptions of all stages (Lepidoptera: Blastobasidae: Symmocinae). Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 89(2): 329–343. full article BHL. reference page
- Adamski, D. & Brown, R.L. 1989. Morphology and Systematics of North American Blastobasidae (Lepidoptera: Gelechioidea) Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station Technical Bulletin 165. Mississippi Entomological Museum 1: 1–70. reference page
- Adamski, D. & Brown, R.L. 2001. Glyphidocera Walsingham (Lepidoptera: Gelechioidea: Glyphidoceridae) of Cerro de la Neblina and adjacent areas in Amazonas, Venezuela. Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 103(4): 968–998. full article BHL. reference page
- Adamski, D. & Brown, R.L. 2002. New species of Blastobasis Zeller from New Caledonia and Fiji (Lepidoptera: Coleophoridae: Blastobasinae). Insecta Koreana 19(2): 137–145. reference page
- Adamski, D. & Brown, R.L. 2002a. A new species of Frumenta on Solanum elaeagnifolium in Mexico: a potential biocontrol agent for this noxious weed in southern Africa (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae: Gnorimoschemini). Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 104(4): 1029–1035. full article BHL. reference page
- Brown, J.W., Brown, R.L. 2004: A new species of Cryptaspasma Walsingham (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae: Olethreutinae) from Central America, The Caribbean, and Southeastern United States, with a catalog of the world fauna of Microcorsini. Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington, 106(2): 288–297. full article BHLreference page
- Lee, S. & Brown, R.L. 2008: Revision of Holarctic Teleiodini (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae). Zootaxa 1818: 1–55. Abstract & excerpt reference page
- Lee, S.M. & Brown, R.L. 2013. Pubitelphusa (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae: Litini) —A New Genus for Two Species Assigned to Telphusa and concubina . Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 115(1): 70–74. reference page
- Brown, R.L. & Jaeger, C., 2014: A new species of Eucosma Hübner and two new species of Cydia Hübner (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) from the United Statesootaxa Zootaxa, 3860(3): 226–234. reference page
- Wright, D.J. & Brown, R.L. 2014. Review of the Eucosma refusana (Walker) species group (Tortricidae), with descriptions of two new species and discussion of biogeographic influences on species distribution. Journal of the Lepidopterists’ Society 68(2): 85–100. Reference page.
- Seltmann, K.C., Cobb, N.S., Gall, L.F., Bartlett, C.R., Basham, M.A., Betancourt, I., Bills, C. Brandt, B., Brown, R.L., Bundy, C., Caterino, M.S., Chapman, C., Cognato, A.I., Colby, J., Cook, S.P., Daly, K.M., Dyer, L.A., Franz, N.M., Gelhaus, J.K., Grinter, C.C., Harp, C.E., Hawkins, R.L., Heydon, S.L., Hill, G.M., Huber, S., Johnson, N.F., Kawahara, A.Y., Kimsey, L.S., Kondratieff, B.C., Krell, F.T., Leblanc, L., Lee, S., Marshall, C.L., Mccabe, L.M., McHugh, J.V., Menard, K.L., Opler, P.A., Palffy-Muhoray, N., Pardikes, N., Peterson, M.A., Pierce, N.E., Poremski, A., Sikes, D.S., Weintraub, J.D., Wikle, D., Zaspel, J.M. & Zolnerowich, G. 2017. LepNet: The Lepidoptera of North America Network. Zootaxa 4247(1): 73–77. doi: 10.11646/zootaxa.4247.1.10. Full article (PDF) Reference page.