Nicholas Miklouho-Maclay (1846-1888)
Spelling variants of his name include:
- Nikolaj Nikolajewitsch Miklouho-Maclay
- Nikolaj Nikolajewitsch Miklucho-Maclay
- Baron de Miklouho-Maclay
His surname has many spelling variants including:
Nicholas Miklouho-Maclay is commemorated in the scientific name of:
- the New Guinea tree species Pouteria maclayana. which he discovered
- the banana species Musa maclayi, which he discovered.
- the land snail species Canefriula maclayiana which he discovered.
A number of species have been named after Nicholas Miklouho-Maclay including:
- Colastomion maclayi, a wasp from New Guinea
- Dysmicoccus maclayi, a scale insect from New Guinea
- Rhinoscapha maclayi, a weevil from New Guinea
- Miklucho-Maclay, Nikolaj Nikolajewitsch National Herbarium, Netherlands
- Ploetz, R. et al "Banana and plantain—an overview with emphasis on Pacific island cultivars", Species Profiles for Pacific Island Agroforestry (www.traditionaltree.org) February 2007 ver.1, p.3
- J. Brazier, 'New species of land and freshwater mollusca from Maclay-Coast and Triton Bay, New Guinea, collected by Baron Maclay', in The Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales Vol. X 1885, p. 842
- Quicke, Donald L. J., M. Alex Smith, Scott E. Miller, Jan Hrcek & Buntika A. Butcher 2012. Colastomion Baker (Braconidae, Rogadinae): nine new species from Papua New Guinea reared from Crambidae. Journal of Hymenoptera Research, 28: 85–121. doi:10.3897/JHR.28.3484. Archived from the original on 2014-07-25. https://web.archive.org/web/20140725055302/http://www.pensoft.net/J_FILES/10/articles/3484/3484-G-3-layout.pdf.
- Gavrilov-Zimin, I. 2013. New scale insects (Homoptera:Coccinea) from Sulawesi and New Guinea, with some other additions to the Indonesian fauna. Tropical Zoology, 26(2): 64-86.
- MacLeay, W. 1884. The insects of the Maclay-Coast, New Guinea. Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales, IX: 700-705. Archived from the original on 2016-01-21. https://web.archive.org/web/20160121204739/http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/82331.