- Zaglossus maximus (Dun, 1895/6)
- Ornithorhynchus maximus: original combination
- Dun, W.S. 1895/6: Notes on the occurrence of monotreme remains in the Pliocene of New South Wales. Records of the Geological Survey of New South Wales, 4: 118–126.
- Hall, B.K. 1999: The paradoxical platypus. BioScience, 49 (3): 211–218. JSTOR
- Mahoney, J.A.; Ride, W.D.L. 1975: Index to the genera and species of fossil Mammalia described from Australia and New Guinea between 1838 and 1969. Western Australian Museum special publication, ( 6 ) [not seen]
- Musser, A.M. 1999: Diversity and relationships of living and extinct monotremes. Australian mammalogy, 21: 8–9. includes full article (PDF)