Jump to navigation Jump to search
William John Swainson (October 8, 1789 – December 6, 1855), English ornithologist, ichthyologist, malacologist and entomologist.
(List may be incomplete)
(List may be incomplete)
- Swainson, W. 1820–1823. Zoological Illustrations, or original figures and descriptions of new, rare, or interesting animals, selected chiefly from de classes of Ornithology, Entomology and Conchology, and arranged on the principles of Cuvier and other modern Zoologists. Vol.1 BHL: i-ix, pl., text 1-66, index. 1820-1821 Vol.2 BHL: pl., text 67-119, index. 1821-1822 Vol.3 BHL: v-x, pl., text 120-182, index. 1822-1823 Baldwin, Cradock & Joy. London. doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.42279Reference page
- Swainson, W., 1824. An Inquiry into the Natural Affinites of the Lanidae, or Shrikes; preceded by some Observations on the present state of Ornithology in this Country. Zoological Journal Vol.1:289-307. From March, 1824, to January, 1825. London. BHL Reference page
- Swainson, W., 1825. The characters and descriptions of several Birds belonging to the genus Thamnophilus. Zoological Journal Vol.2 Art.11:84-93. From January, 1825, to April, 1826. London. BHL Reference page
- Swainson, W., 1825. On two new Genera of Birds, Formicivora and Drymophila, with descriptions of several species. Zoological Journal Vol.2 Art.17:145-154. From January, 1825, to April, 1826. London. BHL Reference page
- Swainson, W., 1827. A Synopsis of the Birds discovered in Mexico by W. Bullock, F.L.S. and H.S., and Mr. William Bullock, jun. The Philosophical Magazine or Annals of Chemistry, Mathematics, Astronomy, Natural History, and General Science Vol.1 New and united series. January–June, 1827. Nr.V May Art.72: 364–369; Nr.VI June Art.85: 433–442 London. BHL Reference page
- Swainson, W. 1827. On several Groups and Forms in Ornithology not hitherto defined. Zoological Journal Vol.3 From January, 1827 to April, 1828 Art.15: 158–175; Art.35: 343–363 London. BHLReference page
- Swainson, W., 1827. A sketch of the natural affinities of the Lepidoptera Diurna of Latreille. Philosophical Magazine (2) 1(3). BHL: 180–188. reference page
- Swainson, W. 1829–1833. Zoological Illustrations, or original figures and descriptions of new rare or interesting animals Series 2, Volumes 1–3. Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3. reference page
- Swainson, W. Northern Zoology Part II Aves in: Swainson, W. & Richardson, J. 1831. Fauna boreali-americana, or, The zoology of the northern parts of British America: containing descriptions of the objects of natural history collected on the late northern land expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. Part Second, The Birds. pp. 1-523. John Murray. London doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.39293 BHL Reference page.
- Swainson, W. 1836. On the natural history and classification of birds. The Cabinet Cyclopæedia. Natural History. Vol.1 365 pp. Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, & Longman & John Taylor. London. BHLReference page.
- Swainson, W. 1837. On the natural history and classification of birds. The Cabinet Cyclopæedia. Natural History. Vol.2: 398 pp. Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, & Longman & John Taylor. London. BHL Reference page.
- Swainson, W. 1838. On the natural history and classification of fishes, amphibians, & reptiles, or monocardian animals. A. Spottiswoode, London 1: i–vi + 1–368. reference page
- Swainson, W. 1839. The natural history and classification of fishes, amphibians, & reptiles, or monocardian animals. Spottiswoode & Co., London 2: i–vi + 1–448. reference page