The degree of difficulty in identifying a species varies widely among different organisms. For Wikispecies:Identification to be useful, I think a minimum set of field information should be required for any ID request posted here. The information required will vary from organism to organism. For example, plants might require the following:
- Scientific classification to the extent possible, including notation indicating uncertainty. For example, Plantae, Magnoliophyta, Magnoliopsida, *Laurales, *Lauraceae, where the "*" indicates uncertainty.
- A group of photographs of the species and its environment.
- The geographic location where the species was observed.
- Standardized adjectives describing the type of environment in which the species was observed. For example, tropical, seashore, tidal pool.
- A description of other characteristics that may be useful in identification.
Other organisms would have other requirements. For example, in addition to the above, fungi might require a spore print.