Wikispecies:Requests for Comment
Welcome to Requests for Comment. This space is for any conversations that might require the opinions of the community to decide policy or the application of policy. Start a new conversation. For general conversation, see Wikispecies:Village Pump.
If you use the title box, you don't need to put a title in the message body.
Applying for Importers
In order to extend and in some cases simplify the functionality of Wikispecies we sometimes need to import data from our sister projects. For instance, there is a way to branch translated templates based on user language preferences, but for this to work we need to import all these pages from Commons to Wikispecies. To be able to import files we need local Importers and Transwiki importers, but right now both of those user groups are empty. These user rights can only be assigned by a Wikimedia steward (not by Wikispecies' administrators or bureaucrats). Contrary to Wikimedia policies regarding for example Checkusers we do not need two or more (transwiki) importers, but one of each group will suffice.
Please note that we did discuss this about a year ago (Administrators' Noticeboard 2016: LangSwitch) but that conference sort of died out...
- I often import templates (in fact, I did so just a few minutes ago), and doing so manually is sub-optimal. We should introduce this user-right, and I would be happy to serve in that role. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 12:20, 7 July 2017 (UTC)
- Support CreativeC38 (talk) 15:23, 7 July 2017 (UTC)
- Support Precisely because Andy imports so much and it would probably make things easier for him. —Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 17:23, 7 July 2017 (UTC)
- Support the notion of an importer on this wiki. Further if Andy (@Pigsonthewing:) wishes this role I have after consideration no objection to it. Cheers Scott Thomson (Faendalimas) talk 02:47, 8 July 2017 (UTC)
- Support It would facilitate the import of mass pages (in the case of XML import), however, it is necessary to configure import wikis before the transwiki import can work (accessible by default to administrators and transwiki importers). —Alvaro Molina (✉ - ✔) 09:57, 8 July 2017 (UTC)
- Transwiki import now configured. CreativeC38 (talk) 18:35, 10 July 2017 (UTC)
- To be more specific, using the Special:Import function Wikispecies administrators can now carry out transwiki imports from Commons, Incubator, MediaWiki, Meta-Wiki, Outreach, and Wikidata, but not from the other sister projects such as Wikipedia or Wikisource. –Tommy Kronkvist (talk), 17:41, 12 July 2017 (UTC).
- Also now working for en.Wikipedia Other langauge Wikipedias can be added on request. Thanks to all who helped. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 15:26, 13 July 2017 (UTC)