- To reach an admin immediately, see Wikispecies:Administrators' Noticeboard
Administrator access is granted to known and trusted members of the community who are familiar with the policies of Wikispecies. Administrator access is not meant to imply editorial authority on the project.
You can request adminship on Wikispecies if you meet the following criteria:
- You are not completely new to Wikimedia projects. You have been an editor for at least 2 months and you understand and agree with the goals of the project.
- You have a user page on Wikispecies and are a contributor here.
- You agree to follow relevant policies and respect consensus of Wikispecies' users.
- There is a consensus amongst users here that you would be a suitable administrator.
- 1 Administrators' abilities
- 2 Past requests
- 3 Requests for adminship
Administrators have the technical ability to perform the following actions:
- block (and unblock) user accounts and IP addresses from editing
- protect (and unprotect) pages to restrict editing of a particular page
- delete and undelete pages
- delete images and other uploaded files
- edit the interface and other protected pages
Administrators assume these responsibilities as volunteers who go through a community review process. They are not acting as employees of the Wikimedia Foundation. They are never required to use their tools, and must never use them to gain an advantage in a dispute in which they are involved.
Misuse of administrative tools
Misusing the administrative tools is considered a serious issue. The administrative tools are provided to trusted users for maintenance and other tasks, and should be used with thought. Serious misuse may result in sanction or even their removal. Misuse, and its consequences, are defined and decided by consensus of the Wikispecies community.
List of Administrators
Wikispecies has 25 administrators (including 2 bots). The current list can be found at Special:ListUsers/sysop.
|Bots with admin flag:||Last activity|
|Abuse filter||2013 (check)|
IRC for admins
- Before you can request access, you must register your nickname and log in.
- Type "
/nick theusernameyouwantgoeshere" to switch to that username,
register by typing "
/msg nickserv register yourpassword youremail".
To keep your email address private, type: "
/msg nickserv set hidemail on"
To keep others from using your name while you're offline, type: "
/msg nickserv set enforce on"
In the future, you must login by typing "
/msg nickserv identify yourpasswordgoeshere" (some clients can do this automatically when you connect).
You access the channel with command
There is a mailing list located at mail:wikispecies-admin. This is a useful tool for coordination off-wiki; it is recommended that admins sign up for the list.
Admin userbox on Wikispecies
Administrators may use the administrator user box on their user page. Copy and paste the following code to your user page:
Userbox on Meta-Wiki
Requests for adminship
Please explain here why you need administrator access. After seven days, if there is general agreement that you should be an administrator, one of the bureaucrats will fulfill the request.
For improving translatable help pages and categories. Requested "administrator" and "translation administrator" rights (both flags at once). As example, for improving translation markup in Wikispecies:Localization etc. I have admin rights on Meta-wiki and MediaWiki.org (mainly for these same goals), and also translation admin rights in Wikidata, Commons, Meta-wiki and MediaWiki.org. --Kaganer (talk) 09:32, 17 September 2017 (UTC)
- Poll starts 09:32, 17 September 2017 (UTC); poll closes 09:32, 24 September 2017. OhanaUnitedTalk page 19:53, 17 September 2017 (UTC)
- Nota bene: This poll only regards the request for Administrator user rights. The poll for Translation Administrator user rights can be found here.
Normally admin rights are only granted to contributors on taxon pages. Please explain why you need these rights. I support translation rights however. Andyboorman (talk) 09:47, 19 September 2017 (UTC)
- for translator flag Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 11:33, 18 September 2017 (UTC)
Not valid. @Pigsonthewing: i.e. Andy Mabbett: Please note that the poll for Kaganer's request for Translation admin user rights can be found here. Tommy Kronkvist (talk) 14:00, 18 September 2017 (UTC)
- for admin flag - no valid justification given Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 11:33, 18 September 2017 (UTC)