Hi, My name is Tony Rees from Australia. Among other things I am the creator and still part time maintainer of the IRMNG (Interim Register of Marine and Nonmarine Genera) database which aspires to collect all published generic names for all groups into a single, searchable and downloadable format: for more details and online access see http://www.irmng.org. IRMNG takes up most of my available time for such activities, I but occasionally contribute to Wikispecies to participate in discussions, correct errors or add a little additional information. Over on Wikipedia, I mainly contribute on non-biological subjects; for more information about my Wikipedia activities please see my Wikipedia user page. If needed, I can be contacted directly via Tony.Rees (at) marinespecies.org .
IRMNG as a data source for Wikispecies, etc.
IRMNG exists in both "static" (data dump/snapshot) and dynamic (most recently updated) versions. To date, static versions are released approximately annually and are available via http://www.irmng.org/download.php . The most recent (March 2019) release contains the following:
- 517,796 records (1 for each taxonomic name instance held) of which 490,095 are genera, 23,522 are families and the remainder are higher ranks.
Numbers of genera by status ("taxonomicStatus"):
- 236,514 "accepted" genera
- 120,194 "unaccepted" genera
- 7,391 genera of other status (e.g. interim unpublished, nomen dubium, nomen nudum, taxon inquirendum, temporary name)
- 125,996 "uncertain" genera - mainly these are unassessed at present (will comprise a mix of eventual accepted, unaccepted, or other)
Notes on my present methodology, plus links to generate lists of names added to the dynamic (live) version since 1 March 2019 are available via my Sandbox.
For other discussions relevant to ongoing content additions or ad hoc modifications, please see my user talk page.