- New Caledonia
- Rejected record: New Zealand
- Sources: Holloway (1976: 299, 'the beginning of such an adaptive change is apparent, for example, in an undescribed New Zealand species of Mycodrosophila whose larvae develop in fermenting sap inside beetle burrows, where the temperature would be at least a little above ambient'), Macfarlane et al. (2010: 336, 'an unidentified species of Mycodrosophila was mentioned by Holloway (1976)')
- Reason for rejection: There is in New Zealand a known undescribed endemic species which can be called Scaptodrosophila n.sp. nr fumida, although the generic placement of the Australian Scaptodrosophila fumida is somewhat unclear (both species have an unusually well developed "lappet" on the wing, somewhat similar to Mycodrosophila and Paramycodrosophila). The New Zealand species is probably the Scaptodrosophila n. sp. McEvery E [McEvey] listed by Hodge & Martin in Macfarlane et al. (2010: 448), and it is probably the basis for all New Zealand records of the genera Mycodrosophila and Paramycodrosophila. Although Macfarlane et al. (2010: 336) mention both Mycodrosophila and Paramycodrosophila from New Zealand in the text, neither are listed in the corresponding checklist of New Zealand Drosophilidae by Hodge & Martin in Macfarlane et al. (2010: 448). I therefore reject all New Zealand records of Mycodrosophila and Paramycodrosophila, as they almost certainly refer to Scaptodrosophila n.sp. nr fumida. This case illustrates the confusion which can result from trying to track literature records of undescribed taxa.
- Holloway, B.A. 1976: A new bat-fly family from New Zealand (Diptera: Mystacinobiidae). New Zealand journal of zoology, 3(4): 279-301. doi: 10.1080/03014223.1976.9517919 BUGZ
- Macfarlane, R.P. et al. 2010: [Chapter] NINE Phylum ARTHROPODA SUBPHYLUM HEXAPODA Protura, springtails, Diplura, and insects. Pp. 233-467 in Gordon, D.P. (ed.): New Zealand inventory of biodiversity. Volume 2. Kingdom Animalia. Chaetognatha, Ecdysozoa, ichnofossils. Canterbury University Press, Christchurch, New Zealand. ISBN 978-1-87725793-3
Hello fellow editors,
I have just modified 1 external links on Mycodrosophila. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20140529054139/http://www.bugz.org.nz/WebForms/SearchForm.aspx to http://www.bugz.org.nz/WebForms/SearchForm.aspx
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.