Nomenclature of Jamides euchylas
Jamides euchylas Hubner,  is the widely recognised name for this species. Hubner originated the name as a replacement for hylas (Cramer/Stoll) which was pre-occupied. However, Herbst, 1800, also created a replacement name for hylas (Cramer/Stoll) and so his action predates that of Hubner. Herbst's name is Jamides hylassus.
The only mentions of hylassus however, since 1800 appear to be Kirby, 1872 and 1877, and Swinhoe, 1916. The later euchylas was used by Fruhstorfer and subsequently by Tite in 1960, and by all subsequent authors. Despite this prevalent current usage, the ICZN is unlikely (G. Lamas, pers. comm.) to reverse the precedence to conserve the acceptance of euchylas.
Strictly according to ICZN, the correct name for this species is Jamides hylassus Herbst, 1800. I have created a page for Jamides hylassus, but it simply redirects here at present waiting follow-up action from a keen taxonomist somewhere. Accassidy (talk) 08:44, 23 September 2015 (UTC)
hylassus Herbst Text & Images
- Fruhstorfer, H., . Revision der Gattung Lampides auf Grand anatomischer Untersuchungen. Arch. Naturgesch. (A)81(6): 1–46, 1 text-fig., 4 pls. text, plates. reference page
- Herbst, J., 1800. Natursystem aller bekannten in und auslandischen Insekten. Der Schmetterlinge Vol. 10. Berlin. Archive. GoogleBooks with plates. reference page
- Hübner, J. 1816–1826. Verzeichniss bekannter Schmettlinge. Augsburg. Papilionoidea. BHL reference page
- ICZN, 1958. Opinion 516. Vol 19: 1–44. Determination under the Plenary Powers of the relative precedence to be assigned to certain works on the Order Lepidoptera (Class insecta) published in 1775 by Pieter Cramer, Michael Denis & Ignaz Schiffermüller, Johann Christian Fabricius, Johann Casper Fuessley, and S.A. von Rottemburg respectively. BHL. Reference page.
- Kirby, W. F., 1871. A synonymic catalogue of the diurnal lepidoptera. Van Voorst, London, 8vo, 690pp. BHL. ibid. 1877 Supplement. BHL. reference page
- Kirby, W. F., 1872. Notes on the Diurnal Lepidoptera described by Jablonsky and Herbst, in their "Natursystem aller bekannten Insekten." Transactions of the Entomological Society of London 1872: 111–120. BHL. reference page
- Rawlins, A., Cassidy, A., Müller, C., Schröder, S. & Tennent, W. J. 2014. An Illustrated and annotated checklist of Jamides Hübner, 1819, taxa occurring in the Indonesian Provinces of North Maluku and Maluku (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae). Nachrichten des Entomologischen Vereins Apollo N.F. 35(1/2): 5-39. reference page
- Rothschild, W. 1915. On Lepidoptera from the islands of Ceram, Buru, Bali and Misol. Novit. Zool. 22(1): 105–144; 22(2): 209–227. No.1; No.2. reference page
- Stoll, 1780-1790. In Cramer, P. De Uitlandsche Kapellen voorkomende in der drie Waereld-Deelen Asia, Afrika en America (etc). Amsterdam, Baalde & Utrecht, 4 vols (252 pp. 400 pls.) and Suppl. (184 pp. 42 pls.) Vol 1; Vol 2; Vol. 3; Vol. 4; Suppl. reference page
- Swinhoe, C., 1916. New Indo-Malayan lepidoptera. Ann. Mag. nat. Hist. (8)18: 209-211. BHL. reference page
- Tite, G. E., 1960. The Jamides euchylas complex (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae) Bull. Br. Mus. nat. Hist. Ent. 9(5): 321-332. BHL. reference page