Samuel Frederick Hildebrand
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Samuel Frederick Hildebrand (United States 1883–1949), American ichthyologist.
- Born in Zoar, Indiana, on 15 August 1883.
- 1908–1910: assistant to Seth Meek, ichthyologist at the Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago; studies at the University of Chicago.
- 1910: A.B., Indiana State Normal School.
- 1910–1914: scientific assistant, U.S. Bureau of Fisheries, Washington, D.C.
- 1910–1911: Panama Canal Zone fish collecting expedition with Meek.
- 1912: second Panama expedition, with Meek.
- 1914–1918: director of the U.S. Fisheries Biological Station, Beaufort, NC.
- 1916: publishes first volume of The Fishes of the Fresh Waters of Panama, with Meek posthumously listed as chief author (though Hildebrand wrote the entire work).
- 1918: studies minnows-based control of mosquitoes in Augusta, GA .
- 1918–1919: director, U.S. Fisheries Biological Station, Key West, FL.
- 1919–1925: ichthyologist, Bureau of Fisheries, Washington, D.C.
- 1920–1924: advisor and investigator, U.S. Public Health Service.
- 1923: publishes The Marine Fishes of Panama, with Seth Meek.
- 1924: Central American fish expedition with Fred J. Foster.
- 1925–1931: director, U.S. Fisheries Biological Station, Beaufort, NC.
- 1928: publishes Fishes of Chesapeake Bay, with William C. Schroeder.
- 1930: publishes Cold-blooded Vertebrates: Part I. Fishes., with Charles W. Gilmore & Doris M. Cochran.
- 1931–1949: senior ichthyologist, Bureau of Fisheries, Washington, D.C.
- 1935: Panama collecting expedition.
- 1937: Panama collecting expedition.
- Longley, W.H. & Hildebrand, S.F. 1940. New genera and species of fishes from Tortugas, Florida. Papers Tortugas Laboratory, Carnegie Institution of Washington 32: 223–285, Pl. 1. Reference page.
- 1946: publishes A Descriptive Catalog of the Shore Fishes of Peru.
- Dies in Washington, D.C., on 16 March 1949.
- 1949: posthumously receives Award for Distinguished Service from the U.S. Department of the Interior.
(List may be incomplete)
- Hildebrand, S.F. 1946. A descriptive catalog of the shore fishes of Peru. Bulletin of the United States National Museum 189: i–xi + 1–530.
- Hildebrand, S.F. 1938. A new catalogue of the fresh-water fishes of Panama. Field Museum of Natural History, Zoological Series v. 22 (no. 4): 219–359. BHL Reference page.
- Meek, S.E. & Hildebrand, S.F. 1913. New species of fishes from Panama. Publications of the Field Museum of Natural History, Zoological Series 10(8): 77–91. BHL Reference page.
(List may be incomplete)