- Protanguilla Johnson, Ida & Miya in Johnson et al., 2012
- Gender: [feminine]
- Type species: Protanguilla palau Johnson, Ida & Sakaue in Johnson et al., 2012
- Fixation: original designation [see p. 936] [and monotypy]
- Note: Appeared first as Protoanguilla in electronic version (not nomenclaturally available, also would have been preoccupied) name changed to Protanguilla in hard copy version. Name changed because †Protoanguilla is preoccupied in fossil eels.
- Springer, V. G. & Johnson, G. D., 2015: The Gill-Arch Musculature of Protanguilla, the Morphologically Most Primitive Eel (Teleostei: Anguilliformes), Compared with That of Other Putatively Primitive Extant Eels and Other Elopomorphs. Copeia, 103 (3): 595-620. doi: 10.1643/CI-14-152