- Holotype: AMNH 75307, adult ♀, collected by Ernest A. Liner and Richard Whitten on 29 June 1963.
- Type locality: “34,5 miles [=55.5 km] S of Riviera, Kenedy County, Texas”, United States, approximately 26847°40.74"N, 97848°50.4714"W, 5 m elevation.
- Paratype: B.C. Brown collection 10993, adult ♀, from “King Ranch, Kenedy County, Texas”, precise coordinates unknown, collected by Brian P. Glass in 1951.
- Cemophora coccinea lineri Williams, Brown & Wilson, 1966: 85 [original combination, as subspecies]
- Cemophora lineri — Collins, 1991: 43 [subsequent combination, elevate to species]
- Williams, K.L., Brown, B.C. & Wilson, L.D. 1966. A new subspecies of the colubrid snake Cemophora coccinea (Blumenbach) from Southern Texas. Texas Journal of Science 18: 85–88. Reference page.
- Collins, J.T. 1991. Viewpoint: a new taxonomic arrangement for some North American amphibians and reptiles. Herpetological Review 22: 42–43. Reference page.
- Weinell, J.L. & Austin, C.C. 2017. Refugia and Speciation in North American Scarlet Snakes (Cemophora). Journal of Herpetology 51(1): 161–171. DOI: 10.1670/15-125 Reference page.