Type locality: "3 miles west of Holly, Prowers County", Colorado, USA.
Holotype: Originally in "Philadelphia Museum".
The recognition of Anaxyrus as a genus distinct from Bufo is highly controversial, and has not been accepted by many herpetologists working with this group. For a complete phylogeny of the species in this group and their relationships as a subgroup within Bufo, see Pauly et al. (2004).
- Bufo cognatus Say in James, 1823
- Chilophryne cognata — Cope, 1862
- Bufo lentiginosus cognatus — Cope, 1875
- Bufo dipternus Cope, 1879
- Bufo cognatus cognatus — Camp, 1915
- Say in James, 1823, Account Exped. Pittsburgh--Rocky Mts., 3: 55 (Philadelphia edition), 336 (London edition).
- Pauly, G. B., D. M. Hillis, and D. C, Cannatella. (2004) The history of a Nearctic colonization: Molecular phylogenetics and biogeography of the Nearctic toads (Bufo). Evolution 58: 2517–2535.
- Frost, Darrel R. 2014. Amphibian Species of the World: an Online Reference. Version 6.0. Electronic Database accessible at . American Museum of Natural History, New York, USA. Anaxyrus cognatus . Accessed on 26 Mar 2008.
- World Conservation Monitoring Centre IUCN: Anaxyrus cognatus (Least Concern)