Type locality: "Nickajack Cave... situated near that point of the southern boundary of Tennessee where it is joined by the line which separates the States of Georgia and Alabama... The entrance is in the northern side of a hill, not far from the road that passes on the south side of the bottom of the Tennessee river... Near the mouth of the cave", Marion County, Tennessee, USA.
Holotype: ANSP 10461.
- Cope and Packard, 1881, Am. Nat., 15: 878.
- Dunn, 1923, Proc. New England Zool. Club, 8: 39.
- Frost, D. 2008. Amphibian Species of the World: an Online Reference. Version 5.2 (15 July, 2008). Electronic Database accessible at www.research.amnh.org/herpetology/amphibia. American Museum of Natural History, New York, USA. Aneides aeneus
- AmphibiaWeb: Information on amphibian biology and conservation. [web application]. 2010. Berkeley, California: Aneides aeneus. AmphibiaWeb, available at http://amphibiaweb.org/.
- 2007 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species IUCN: Aneides aeneus (Near Threatened) Downloaded on 3 August 2008.