Anaxyrus houstonensis (Sanders, 1953)
Type locality: "off Tanner Road, 1-2 mi. W of its junction with Campbell Road in northwest Houston", Harris Co., Texas, USA.
Holotype: UIMNH 33687.
The recognition of Anaxyrus as a genus distinct from Bufo is highly controversial, and has not been accepted by many herpetologists working with this group. For a complete phylogeny of the species in this group and their relationships as a subgroup within Bufo, see Pauly et al. (2004).
- Sanders, O., 1953, Herpetologica, 9: 27.
- Hillis, D. M., A. M. Hillis, and R. F. Martin. (1984) Reproductive ecology and hybridization of the endangered Houston toad (Bufo houstonensis). Journal of Herpetology 18: 56–72.
- Pauly, G. B., D. M. Hillis, and D. C, Cannatella. (2004) The history of a Nearctic colonization: Molecular phylogenetics and biogeography of the Nearctic toads (Bufo). Evolution 58: 2517–2535.
- Frost, Darrel R. 2018. Amphibian Species of the World: an Online Reference. Version 6.0. Electronic Database accessible at http://research.amnh.org/herpetology/amphibia/index.html. American Museum of Natural History, New York, USA. Anaxyrus houstonensis . Accessed on 26 Mar 2008.
- World Conservation Monitoring Centre IUCN: Anaxyrus houstonensis (Endangered)