|Requests for renaming accounts are handled on Meta-Wiki by global renamers and stewards. Please file a request HERE.|
This page permits users to request, and bureaucrats to consider and carry out, the "usurpation" or "rename" of usernames. This consists of renaming an existing dormant account in order to permit another user to adopt the name, or just moving a username to a currently unused one.
If you wish to request usurpation, please read and follow the instructions below. The account you want to usurp should have no edits or log entries (except in the username creation log) to qualify for usurpation, although rare exceptions are made where old edits do not require attribution under the GFDL. Please do not request usurpation if your user account is less than several months old, or barely used; unless this is for SUL purposes and you are active on another project. In order to ensure that usurped usernames be put to good use, we prefer only to grant requests from reasonably well-established users.
Before filing a request please consider the following if this isn't an SUL request:
- When the rename has been completed, your account will have been renamed, and any contributions you have made (including deleted contributions) will be reattributed to your new account as a background process. Your account preferences, watchlist contents, password, etc. will all be preserved, and your user and user talk pages will have been moved to the new name.
- Note: The process responsible for reallocating old contributions is currently dependent upon the job queue mechanism. As such, you may find old contributions do not immediately appear under your new account; this is perfectly normal. Updates should take at most a day to complete, although the length of time will vary according to the size of the job queue on this wiki, and the status of the server processes which process this queue.
- The change will appear in the user rename log and the request will be moved to the archives in the interest of transparency. It is not possible to rename accounts without an entry being created in the log.
- This change will not affect signatures you have already left on talk pages, or other places where you signed your username with ~~~~. Those pages will continue to display your signature (including the link to your old username) unless edited manually.
- If you are using a raw signature, you will need to change it in your preferences.
- Be aware: Once you have been renamed, your old account will no longer exist and may potentially be recreated by a third party. This is true even if your old account pages have been redirected towards your new account. To guard against impersonation, you may wish to recreate the old account yourself.
- For bureaucrats: Our policy is that we can conduct rename right away if the account has 0 edits. If the account has any edits, we have to give 8 days of notice for the user to accept or reject the rename. You can use this usurp notice to contact the account owner that is about to be usurped. For SUL issues, the renaming can be done immediately.
PLACE REQUESTS BELOW THIS LINE.