User talk:OhanaUnited/Archive 1
Please ask further questions in the Village Pump.
Please don't upload files to Wikispecies unless there's a special reason to do so; use the Wikimedia Commons instead.
We hope you'll enjoy the time you spend on Wikispecies!
You can sign your messages with ~~~~.
I see you seem to be finding your way around the site. It is much more structured than other wikis. And we have a lot fewer editors. And we have made changes in format over time so any given article may not be up to standard.
All that being said, I recommend that you start by reading Help:General Wikispecies and the description of each of the sections. Wikispecies:Village Pump is also a place to read about current discussions or to add your own.
For example, links to site like ITIS belong in the reference section. We also have (or are creating templates) for the more standard ones. See my changes here Again, welcome. --Open2universe 12:31, 21 December 2007 (UTC)
- 1 Your sending welcome message
- 2 Contribution on the Chiroptera
- 3 You are now an admin
- 4 Re:
- 5 Thanks
- 6 Category:Candidates for speedy deletion
- 7 Lepidoptera and user 18.104.22.168
- 8 Bot
- 9 Names
- 10 Wikispecies:Village_Pump#Auto_-_page_creation
- 11 Bot-generated pages
- 12 Change of name
- 13 Request
- 14 Pages with NOTOC
- 15 Your bot
- 16 Removing indents
- 17 Undelete
- 18 Hey OhanaUnited
- 19 Hello !
- 20 Thanks
- 21 About ITIS Template
- 22 Wikipedia
- 23 Renaming for SUL
- 24 Usurp User:Markov
- 25 Thank you!
- 26 New bot issue with right
- 27 Genus
- 29 block
- 30 Promoting Maxim
- 31 Finally the decision to remove the varieties of Ophrys apifera
- 32 Username change request
- 33 Your bot
- 34 Yiddish mainpage
- 35 Ty =)
- 36 Vandalism Warnings
Your sending welcome message
Thank you for your sending welcome message to me. However, I feel the message like a nuisance; I had been working on Wikispecies much longer than you. --Eveningmist 18:37, 8 January 2008 (UTC)
Contribution on the Chiroptera
I see you're contributing on the Chiroptera (bats), which is very wellcome because I'm working to complete this order (including subspecies) for some time now. (It has more than 900 species!)
I think a collaborative work is essential for the success of wikispecies, so if you want to work with me systematically on some orders please contact me.
Mariusm 07:15, 29 January 2008 (UTC)
You are now an admin
Thanks for the welcome. Terra 20:13, 20 February 2008 (UTC)
Is very cool be 'welcomed' after a couple hours from the sign in :) Fale 05:42, 23 February 2008 (UTC)
Poke. Mønobi 03:44, 29 February 2008 (UTC)
Lepidoptera and user 22.214.171.124
Hi - have you contacted 126.96.36.199 by any chance? (he's the one contributing to moths & he left his email on his talk page) I think I can get my bot to "batch update" a lot of his new pages to add "Taxonavigation" sections with the proper templates. It doesn't bother me that he didn't put that stuff in or use templates - my only concern is that it would be nice if he could include a reference along with his new pages (for example Ischnophanes monocentra). I see the Help:Project sources page recommends the http://www.nhm.ac.uk/ site for Lepidoptera yet I get wary when I see the following disclaimer on that site: "You may not use the Site:... ...to create a database (electronic or otherwise) that includes material downloaded or otherwise obtained from the Site, without written permission from the NHM;". --Georgeryp 17:41, 8 March 2008 (UTC)
I started up working on the bot today, and I was wondering if you knew of any databases in the XML format. That would be very helpful in creating articles. Mønobi 02:55, 10 March 2008 (UTC)
I'm now busy with Names, Synonyms etc.
:) Mønobi 02:09, 12 March 2008 (UTC)
The pages generated by the bot include only the species' "bare bones". I prefer to include in the page much more info, such as Holotype, Synonyms, extensive references etc. That's why I like constructing the pages manually, and not by the bot.
Mariusm 07:56, 24 March 2008 (UTC)
Change of name
I want to change my user name from Fballesteros to Baiji as I had changed my user name in all projects to ask for my SUL. I'm sysop and bureaucrat in Spanish Wikipedia and in Spanish Wikinews. Thanks a lot!
Best regards, --Fballesteros 15:11, 26 March 2008 (UTC)
- Everything is OK. Thank you!!! --Baiji 15:44, 26 March 2008 (UTC)
Is it possible to contact with 188.8.131.52? He is busy with cosmopterigidae. Is it possible that he contact me about what he have to do for creation the cosmophoridae? Is it possible to block every body who want make changes in the lepidoptera and that the have contact me?
Note: thanks for the award
Regards, PeterR 10:36, 1 April 2008 (UTC)
- What I mean is that the cosmopterigidae have three subfamilies and under the three subfamilies are all the genera. That side have to be updated with each subfamily with his own genera. When I work with it for the first time I get a message that I have to login. I get support from Mariusm.
- I have work with SAP. For the SAP users is a hierarchy. Most people had a look funktion. I was Master. Its mean that I could do everything in SAP except programming. If people want changes in SAP than they had to contact me. Now every one can change WIKIPEDIA. That means that a lot of work from someone can be destroyed. The sides are not anymore reliable. There are so many sides on internet not reliable such as ITIS ; Zoobank ; Funet ; British National Museum etc. I hoped with Wikipedia create a reliable side.
- PeterR 09:05, 2 April 2008 (UTC)
- I have create and update the Coleophoridae. About the new species I had feedback with Hugo van der Wolf one of the authors from World Catalog of Insects volume 8 Coleophoridae. Maybe here and there are little mistakes. When you see a mistake you can mail me.
- Now I go further with the Tortricidae.
- PeterR 13:16, 5 April 2008 (UTC)
- Have you send me mail with Enarmiini have to be Enarmoniini? I have allready switch them and I have asked for delete Enarmiini. PeterR 18:50, 5 April 2008 (UTC)
- Can you reach Isfisk? He make a lot of mistakes and I have try twice to reach him but no answers. If he want do changes in the lepidopteridae he can contact me. I have allways update his sides.
- Regards PeterR 11:07, 23 April 2008 (UTC)
Pages with NOTOC
Hi, I see you're getting OhanaBot going. Were you able to get a list of pages containing "__NOTOC__" in an automated way? If not, I can list out all the pages for you, but only as of the last successful data dump. Let me know here or on my talk page if you want them. Unfortunately, the dumps have been failing recently so the latest dump (with article content = file "specieswiki-latest-pages-articles.xml.bz2" here) is from back in Mar-16! About a year ago I did a "format investigation" of things like "NOTOC" that are not part of the current formatting conventions so I'd probably use a similar process to find the "NOTOC" -- or you can find them yourself if you can uncompress .gz (=gzip) or .bz (=bzip2) files (from the dump directory given above) and then just open the text/xml file in a robust editor that can handle LARGE files.
Just FYI, Google Search won't see the "NOTOC" because it does not appear in the saved pages served up to a web browser (or even in the HTML source). It is only when you hit "edit" that MediaWiki reveals the "NOTOC" and googlebot doesn't crawl this site in "edit" mode. --Georgeryp 20:37, 13 April 2008 (UTC)
Hey. Watch out for things like . It just leaves a ==Header== there. I got a regex that I could use to go through and clean it up. I think it was:
then replace it with nothing. Mønobi 03:12, 15 April 2008 (UTC)
I believe I have make a mistake with delete Subordo:Antarctoperlaria Ordo:Plecoptera and Superfamilia Eusthenoidea and Leptoperloidea. These pages wore not good and I thaught if I delete them than I can make new pages. But now the new pages have the remark this page have to be deleted. Please can you look too them, because I have spend 24 hours to update the Plecoptera and add new species from 2008.
The outfitt of Insecta are very bad. I have meanwhile make about a hundred templates. Can you tell me which persons allso do Insects? I can't do all insecta.
PeterR 13:40, 26 April 2008 (UTC)
Did you reach Isfisk? He make everytime the same mistakes and I can't everytime update his pages without response.
PeterR 12:10, 30 April 2008 (UTC)
What I have done are upgrades made in 2008 through Isfisk.
Now I have find out about Pseudophasmatidae. He have only tribes, but there are allso Subfamilia.
PeterR 18:26, 30 April 2008 (UTC)
Hello OhanaUnited, no I'm not a biologist unfortunately. Yes, I spend some time on Commons. I was wondering if you could show me what to do, what kind of pages shouldn't be here, almost everything if you don't mind. I'm really good at tagging incorrect pages (See my deleted edits on Commons & en-Wiki) be prepared to get a lot of questions :)! Thank you, it'll be nice to talk to you. --Kanonkas 13:00, 5 May 2008 (UTC)
Thanks for the welcome. I am excited about getting started! Feel free to call me. Also I am good about returning messages at my Wikipedia talk page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Tiptoety (best way to get in touch with me). Tiptoety 17:22, 10 May 2008 (UTC) Any advice on what I should do first? Tiptoety 10 May 2008 (UTC)
- I am actually a Taxonomist. How can I be of assistance? Tiptoety 20:40, 10 May 2008 (UTC)
About ITIS Template
Thank you about ITIS Template considerations. I will correct my mistakes right now.CaCO3 11:51, 13 May 2008 (UTC)
What is the meaning of Wikipedia. Is this a personal database or is this a database for all people based on the rules of the International science. I fill Wikipedia based on the rules of the International science of Insecta. This means with Tribus, Subtribus, Genera, Subgenera, Species, Subspecies, Variation, Formae, Species Groups and Subspecies Groups, Athor names, Type locality, Holotype, Synonyms, References etc.. I deliberation with some Authors of Insecta in the world about the status of new taxa. Are the tribus or Species Groups international Accepted. I fill the databases with their books or bulletins. If Wikipedia is a personal database than I stop with my work.
PeterR 11:22, 25 May 2008 (UTC)
Renaming for SUL
Could you please rename user:Harald Krichel (0 Edits) for SUL? This account has been created with my name by an Interwiki-Stalker and I want to prevent him from further vandalism under my name. Thanks in advance, Seewolf 21:23, 27 May 2008 (UTC)
Hello, i am an user of the fr.wikipedia.org and i would like to usurpe the account user:Markov, to allow me to use en:WP:SUL. This account never contribute, and i dont have account in species.wikimedia.
So, is it possible to delete it ? Thanks a lot in advance.--RealMarkov 13:51, 28 May 2008 (UTC)
New bot issue with right
It removed the letters "right" from a species name. See http://species.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Amoreuxia&diff=462222&oldid=148172
What had been wrightii is now wii, like the gaming system.
Have I make now templates for genera and species?
PeterR 05:42, 30 May 2008 (UTC)
- I see you have change the genera and species through making templates. Have I make now templates for genera and species?
- PeterR 05:52, 30 May 2008 (UTC)
I see you're using in your work the <br> for new line. This has to be <br />. Visually speaking, there's no difference beteen <br /> and <br>, but if you want valid XHTML code, the <br /> is required by specification. Using <br /> is a way to signify termination of an element instead of using <br></br>. Using <br> on it's own is essentially an unterminated element, so for Wiki to work best across all browsers please use the <br />.
PeterR 06:03, 30 May 2008 (UTC)
- I rephrased Peter's message, so you'll understand it.
- Mariusm 06:16, 30 May 2008 (UTC)
Hi. any particular reason you changed the indefinite block to 1 year? That ip also made several user names only to spam links. Lycaon 22:34, 30 May 2008 (UTC)
- Yeah, there was no reason to jump the gun. Ultimately, there's no real damage since it's not like there was a real chance it would fail, but that doesn't mean you should arbitrarily cut them short. EVula // talk // ☯ // 06:19, 31 May 2008 (UTC)
Finally the decision to remove the varieties of Ophrys apifera
Thank you very much for your help that finally I managed to clear the situation of the chaotic systematic of the Genus Ophrys and in specific case of the species Ophrys apifera. Here the result: Cutting off the varieties from the taxonomy to make it pure and simple and user friendly. tea ≈Dl 21:03, 31 May 2008 (UTC)
Username change request
Hello there. Would you mind renaming Xyrael to Sean Whitton please? I hope I haven't bypassed a username change page but I'm afraid I couldn't find one. I'm doing this to do a SUL global account merge. Thanks in advance :) Xyrael 09:57, 4 June 2008 (UTC)
- Ah no problem, sorry about that. I searched around myself but couldn't find that page. Xyrael 19:49, 13 June 2008 (UTC)
I'm going to re-write it in Python using Pywikipediabot, so you don't have to load up AWB anymore :-) . This will use a lot less memory. Just make sure you download Python 2.5 . Mønobi (talk) 04:11, 6 June 2008 (UTC)
Thank you for the welcome :) Luisa Cosenza 13:12, 13 June 2008 (UTC)
Hey buddy, you have now sent me 2 warnings like this:
Please stop adding nonsense to Wikispecies. It is considered vandalism. If you continue to vandalize pages, you will be blocked from editing Wikispecies. OhanaUnitedTalk page 04:10, 29 June 2008 (UTC)
This is nonsense, buddy, and if you continue to send me such unwarranted warnings, I will consider it "vandalism" and block you! Get a life ... User:184.108.40.206
- Apologies, I just thought you were being unreasonable with me! I am not adding nonsense to the pages!!! I remove only some redundant information by others. No harm intended!