My name is Alan Cassidy. I am an amateur entomologist with a special interest in Lycaenidae from SE Asia. In the '80s I made severall field expeditions with specialists from the RESL and BMNH, including Phase 1 of Project Wallace to Northern Sulawesi in 1985.
I have published a few taxonomic papers in my specialist area including some treatments of Lycaenid groups based on material from Project Wallace.
I maintain a reference collection at home and hope to continue to help with the establishment in taxonomic websites to aid future researchers and all those interested in our favourite creatures. As I approach retirement from full-time occupation, I hope to spend more time building these web resources over the next few years.
I have been concentrating primarily on the Oriental Polyommatini, which are now treated fairly exhaustively. The Palaearctic and African genera are being worked on, but only to generic, species-list, level. I have also completed the Oriental Miletini and Poritiini to subspecies. I have done little in the Oriental Luciini but have started on the Theclini,and have completed revising the complex genus Arhopala Boisduval to species, or in some cases subspecies, level. I have now dealt with the remaining Genera of the Arhopalini and have since then worked on Aphnaeini and Cheritrini beofre moving on to Deudorigini. Accassidy (talk) 21:37, 19 April 2011 (UTC)
[Copies of some of these papers here.]
- Cassidy, A.C., 1982. An annotated checklist of Brunei butterflies including a new species of the genus Catapaecilma (Lycaenidae). Brunei Mus. J., 5 (2): 202-272.
- Cassidy, A.C., 1985. An enlarged checklist of Brunei butterflies (Lepidoptera, Rhopalocera) including descriptions of one new species and two new subspecies. Brunei Mus. J., 6 i-iii: 135-168.
- Cassidy, A.C., 1990. On Nacaduba and allied genera (Lepidoptera, Lycaenidae) from the Sulawesi Region. Tyô to Ga, 41: 227-241.
- Hirowatari, T. and Cassidy, A.C., 1994. A new species of the genus Jamides Hübner from Sulawesi. Tyô to Ga, 45(1): 1-4.
- Cassidy, A.C., 1995a. On the Miletini (Lepidoptera, Lycaenidae) of the Sulawesi Region. Trans. Lepid. Soc. Japan, 46: 1-12.
- Cassidy, A.C., 1995b. On the Lycaenopsis group of genera (Lepidoptera, Lycaenidae) of the Sulawesi Region. Trans. Lepid. Soc. Japan, 46: 45-62.
- Cassidy, A.C., Allen, M.G. & Harman, T., 2002. The generic position of Smerinthus decoratus Moore (Lepidoptera, Sphingidae). Trans. Lep. Soc. Japan, 53: 225-228.
- Cassidy, A.C., 2003. New information on lycaenid butterflies of the South-East Asian Islands. Trans. Lepid. Soc. Japan, 54(2): 73-82.
- Cassidy, A.C.; Rawlins, A. 2011: On Hypolycaena from Maluku, Indonesia, including the first description of male Hypolycaena asahi (Lepidoptera, Lycaenidae). ZooKeys, 115: 53–84. doi: 10.3897/zookeys.115.1406
You can peruse and/or use my current Wiki-format Lepidopterological Bibliography